Google Earth

Brian Gaynor briang at pmccorp.com
Fri Jan 11 00:12:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 16:11 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

> >> Hate to tell you, but if running glxinfo causes your machine to drop
> >> to init 3 (i.e. X dies) then your system is terminally unwell. This
> >> is not normal.
> >>
> >> If I recall correctly you have installed the nvidia driver yourself,
> >> using the nvidia installer ? I would suggest this is screwed up.
> >
> > I have seen this happen.  The problem was, the nVidia GL library was
> > overwritten by the system GL library causing a fatal (for X)
> > incompatibility as soon as GL was touched by the X server (e.g. when
> > running googleearth of glxinfo).  This can happen when the Fedora GL
> > library is upgraded or reinstalled after the nVidia driver was
> > installed.  This can happen when you use the nVidia installer, but not
> > when you use a packaged RPM (I recommend freshrpms.net since it does
> > not need to be updated when there is a kernel update).
> >
>     Since A. I just got a new kernel in F7 as we write, and B. I can't
> can't get anything from freshrpms.net because I do not know how to. C.
> would a rpm there work on F7?
>
> Karl

>From the freshrpms.net home page:

"The easiest way to install freshrpms.net packages is to click here from
within firefox, choose to open with Software Installer (the default)
then go to Add/Remove Software from the main menu, where new
applications will be available in the list."

Doesn't get much easier than that. I'm a big fan of the DKMS nvidia
module if you find you have to have the closed source driver.

- Brian