Wireless network problems - Dell Inspiron 1501

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Jan 11 15:51:01 UTC 2008

 > > Frank Cox wrote:
 > >
 > > I also tried setting this up directly with system-config-network
instead of
 > > Network Manager.  I keep getting told "Check cable?" no matter what
options I
 > > try.
 > >

 >Sounds like system-config-network is using eth? while the wireless
 >driver uses something different.

 >Dell laptop I'm playing with uses wlan0 instead of eth0 for the
 >wireless.  Other wireless cards use other designations.  See what you
 >have in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/

 >iwconfig from the command line in a terminal window will let you see
 >the wireless setup and change some parameters.  Getting the encryption
 >keys just right between an F8 laptop and many routers seems to be a
 >problem.  Anything beyond 64bit WEP has me stumped so far.

I had problems getting my system working. I wrote a script and there
were 4 things which helped.
First, I do an 'ifdown eth0' *and* 'ifdown eth1' and start
NetworkManager and NetwordManagerDispatcher
Second, I do a modprobe to load the driver
Third, I use a series of calls using iwconfig to set the mode, rate,
channel and key.
Fourth, and apparently quite important, the 'iwconfig eth1 essid
whatever' call MUST BE LAST.
Finally, 'ifup eth1'

I have no idea if NetworkManager etc are actually doing anything...It
does not look like it. I get the same result even if I do not start them.
HTH
Geoff