Upgrade Hard Drive

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri Jan 11 17:13:28 UTC 2008

Tom Spec wrote:
> I am planning to move from one HD to another I need a bit of feedback.
> I am partitioned as follows:
>
> sda1 /boot (Linux Partition) 256M
> sda2 LVM PV (Linux LVM Partition) 20G
>
> I was planning to.....
>
> 1) attach the new HD
> 2) boot to a rescue CD
> 3) partition the new HD exactly how the old one is
> 4) dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1
> 5) dd if=/dev/sda2 of=/dev/sdb2
> 6) make the new HD bootable
> 7) disconnect the old HD
> 8) boot
>
> My questions...
>
> - Is this basically the right procedure?
> - Do I need to boot to the rescue CD or would single user (or emergency)
> mode be good enough (in step 2)?
> - Exactly what steps are required to "make the new HD bootable"?
> - Is there a way for me to make the old hd "unbootable" so I can leave
> it in, but make sure it's the new one that boots?
>
> Thanks for any feedback,
> Tom

I like using parted (or one of the GUI front ends). The advantage is
that it only copies the data, so it is faster then dd. It will also
copy to a larger partition. That can be handy when moving to a
larger hard drive. It will also create the partitions for you on the
new drive. You still need to install Grub on the new drive to make
it bootable.

When doing the copy, you will want to boot from the rescue CD, or
something like the System Rescue CD.

http://www.sysresccd.org/

Mikkel