can't go to single user mode

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 12 12:04:28 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-11 at 16:42 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> but here's something i just noticed that strikes me as weird -- if you
> have a grub password, you'll need to enter it to edit the boot line,
> but you *don't* need it to simply make a non-default selection.  i
> *think* i've just verified that, but if someone else wants to confirm
> it, feel free.  that seems like a security hole.

If you want password protected menu items, you must put password
commands into those stanzas.  Either a "lock" command so you enter the
password previously set.  Or a password command to have individual
passwords for different menu items.

I do that for some of them (e.g. I have "boot from floppy" menu options,
and "begrudgingly boot ye olde Windows," that I protect against), but
leave other things fine (e.g. memtest can be run, different kernels for
this Linux can be run, and I have a halt entry to turn off the box
without having to hang onto the power button - useful if you
accidentally rebooted instead of shutdown).

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

If I wanted a hard time I would have used Windows...