sudo doesn't work, I'm not in sudoers file, but I am.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Jan 13 04:20:20 UTC 2008

On Saturday 12 January 2008, Mike Williams wrote:
>On Jan 12, 2008 5:53 PM, Gene Heskett <gene.heskett at verizon.net> wrote:
>> >From the sudoers file:
>>
>> [...]
>> ## Allow root to run any commands anywhere
>> root    ALL=(ALL)       ALL
>> gene    ALL=(ALL)       ALL
>
>Sure looks okay to me.  Note that you can also use:
>gene    ALL=(ALL)      NOPASSWD: ALL

I'm not sure I'd want that.  While this house is secure, and dd-wrt is between
this box and the net, I think that might be trusting things a wee bit much.

In fact, my password, while longer than most, is about half the length of
roots, which is so long its not usable with ssh or samba.  For that reason, I
wouldn't mind being forced to use roots password to sudo.  Is that possible?

>to be able to use sudo without having to enter the password.
>
>> Humm, stupid?  question:  Does this only take effect after a reboot?
>
>No reboot required, changes take effect immediately.
>
>> Weird, I just took it back out, (vim said it was a read-only file so I had
>> to use the :w! to write it) and the lockout was instant:
>
>You should use visudo to edit sudoers, not vi.  Try: man visudo for more
> info. In addition to being safer, visudo will warn you if there are any
>errors in the sudoers file.

I didn't know that, thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene