sudo doesn't work, I'm not in sudoers file, but I am.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 06:41:52 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 23:20 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> In fact, my password, while longer than most, is about half the length
>> of roots, which is so long its not usable with ssh or samba.  For that
>> reason, I wouldn't mind being forced to use roots password to sudo.
>
> That's what "su" is for, surely?  "su" to become root, "sudo" to pretend
> to be root.

su is the low-level 'switch user' command.  If you aren't already root,
you have to type the new user's password to continue.  Sudo has a more
complex scheme to configure operations that can be done as a different
user without typing any password or by typing your own password.  Some
distributions do not have a usable password for root but permit certain
users to do operations as root via sudo with their own passwords.  On
these, if you prefer to stay root instead of sudo'ing every command, you
can simply 'sudo su -'.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com