KDE-4 installation on hard disk

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Sun Jan 13 16:19:27 UTC 2008

I have KDE-4 Fedora on a USB stick,
and it is running fine from this on my laptop.

I thought as an experiment I would try to install it
on the hard disk (on an empty partition).
So I clicked on the "Install to Hard Drive" button after booting.

The partition I want to use is an LVM partition.
So I choose "Create custom layout".
The LVM partitions are shown,
but I am not able to enter mount points for these,
even after opening another desktop,
and activating them.
The LVM partitions are described as Type "foreign".
According to lvdisplay their LV status is "Not available".
When I try "mkfs.ext3 /dev/vg/home" (one of the LVM partitions)
I am told "The device apparently does not exist".

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

At first sight, KDE-4 does not look much different to KDE-3
in my rather insensitive eyes.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366