Updates SOLVED!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 21:44:18 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:

>>     I have cleaned my dam yum 3 times today! I have not done so just
>> before trying freshrpms however so will try that next. The vlc at
>> freshrpms is much older than the one at livna. One more try today.
>
> The vlc at freshrpms may be older, but some of its dependencies at
> freshrpms are seen as _newer_ by RPM due to how RPM version comparison
> works. E.g. the "0.0.0 greater than 0" case mentioned before. That's
> why you run into dependency problems. It is not enough to just disable
> a repo in your yum config files, you also need to erase packages
> installed from that repo.

The relevant point here is that it isn't just having multiple
repositories enabled during a yum run that can cause conflicts. Any
package ever downloaded from one repository can trigger conflicts when
another repository is enabled.

> And explicit execution of "yum --enablerepo=..." for cherry-picking
> packages is only for people who know what they are doing.

This just reduces the chances of getting conflicting packages, but
doesn't eliminate it.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com