rdesktop woes

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jan 15 20:11:12 UTC 2008

Bob Goodwin wrote:
> Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> Paul Lemmons wrote:
>
> Does this work with "XP Home?"  I believe the network and remote stuff
> are missing from the home version?

Yes, I have XP Pro in the VMWare version, but the other 2 computers are
running XP Home.  I had one of them contact the other, so this is a myth
that its missing from XP Home.  I can find both the Remote Desktop and
the Remote Desktop server on each XP home version.

My ultimate goal is to be able to help my Mom (who lives 15 miles away)
over our 2 broadband connections whenever she needs my help.

> I've been following your messages and I get:
>
>    rdesktop -u box6 -g 1024x768 -d JMCPC 192.168.1.11:3389
>    Autoselected keyboard map en-us

Where's the 192.168.1.11 coming from?  My router network is 192.168.6.x,
and I put it directly on the command line.  I *did* try putting the host
in my local /etc/hosts file, but no difference in my problem.

Now if I beleive that the program is trying to use the .1.11 address,
then I can see why its failing (I have no .1. subnet here.  I guess its
time to look into trying a debug session.  I'm off to get the rdesktop
sources....

Thanks!

--
Kevin J. Cummings