Updates SOLVED!

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Tue Jan 15 20:30:37 UTC 2008

Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 January 2008 17:02, Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> Nigel Henry wrote:

>>> The only reason I suggested apt-get, is that he would be effectively
>>> starting with a clean sheet. I gave him the URL for adding freshrpms
>>> to /etc/apt/sources.list, so he then could do an apt-get update, which
>>> would download the package lists for the first time with apt-get, for
>>> fedora updates, everything, and "only" freshrpms. Livna not entering the
>>> equation.
>>>
>>> Then an apt-get install vlc  may have printed out some usefull info.
>>>
>>> If he does have some problem with Yum, trying with Apt, if Apt worked ok,
>>> might confirm it.
>>>
>>> He doesn't appear to have read what I said though, as now he's trying to
>>> get apt-get to get vlc from Livna.
>>>
>>> I'll post him back on list, and try and find out what he's done.
>>>
>>> Nigel.
>>>
>>     Hi Nigel, I wanted to see if apt-get would work with livna and found
>> out it doesn't as I sent you. I am now looking at removing yum from this
>> F8 and from the F8 DVD re-load an entire new yum.  But not yet sure I
>> can do that.
>>

> Now be carefull!! You've already been caught once on the deps to be removed
> issue. I may be wrong, but I don't think you can remove Yum with Yum, and it
> may want to remove RPM. I may be wrong here too, but that's the last thing
> you want to do.
>
>>     But it doesn't matter much. This is just fun to see if old time
>> methods work. If not nothing much lost.
>>

> Meanwhile, back at the ranch, and Apt.
>
> Did you try apt-get just with the freshrpms line (that I gave to you)
> uncommented in /etc/apt/sources.list?  Comment out the livna line (with a #
> at the start of the line), then run apt-get update, which will update the
> package lists to include the freshrpms one.
>
> Now, and before doing anything else, type synaptic on the CLI (presuming you
> installed it). Click on "Settings", then "Preferences", and under the
> "General" tab, "Appearance" , check the box "Show package properties in the
> main window", then Apply, and OK.
>
> Now I don't know where you originally got vlc from, as it seems that at some
> time or other you've had both the livna, and freshrpms repo's enabled.
>
> Be that as it may, scroll down to the x264 package, click on it, and select
> the "Common" tab in the lower half of the window. This will tell you who the
> maintainer is. Mine came from freshrpms, and says.
> Maintainer:  Matthias Saou <matthias at rpmforge.net>
>
> As your near it, scroll back to vlc, and again click on it (whether it's
> installed or not), and again look at who the maintainer is for the available,
> or installed package.
>
> Now scroll to wxGTK, and check out the maintainer. wxGTK is from Fedora, so
> that won't be a problem as regards 3rd party repo conflicts.
>
> Now scroll back to mpeg32dec. This should show Matthias Saou as the maintainer
> [...]
    Yes it is Nigle. But I learned you can't remove yum because of 2
packages dependant on it. The other 3 I could and did. But the packages
didn't empty or remove the things in the directory. So I did that and
reinstalled the 3 rpm files that support yum and it works again fine but
it still is not fixed. By the way I removed all the files in
/var/chase/yum/. That changed nothing I can see.

    My F8 is right now a dead Indian. I really liked it except for
pulseaudio, that got me into deleting it.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User