rdesktop woes

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Tue Jan 15 20:35:52 UTC 2008

Paul Lemmons wrote:
> I have run an strace on my working version and compared it to yours.
> Amazingly enough they compare fairly well. I do see different IO calls
> being made though. Can you issue the following two commands:
>
> uname -a
> rpm -qa | grep rdesktop
>
> Here is what I am running:
>
> $ uname -a
> Linux xxxxxx.tmcaz.com 2.6.23.9-85.fc8 #1 SMP Fri Dec 7 15:49:59 EST
> 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> $ rpm -qa | grep rdesktop
> rdesktop-1.5.0-4.fc8

My Laptop (Intel Core 2 Duo T7200) is running FC6, 2.6.22.9-61  and
rdesktop 1.5.0-2.fc6

I have a small test machine (K6-2 500) running 2.6.23.1-21.fc7 and
rdesktop 1.5.0-2.fc7

My main server (AMD Athlon XP 2600+) is running 2.6.23.8-23.fc8 and
rdesktop 1.5.0.4.fc8

All 3 fail in the same fashion.

> I am assuming that you are also using XP Professional, because you can
> RDP from Windows to Windows. When you use Windows are you using the
> "Remote Desktop Connection" client?

I have 2 Home and 1 Pro.  The Pro version runs in a VMWare session on my
laptop.  The 2 Home versions are on their own computers.  I have used
Remote Assistance from Home to Home and from Home to Pro (I have
connected to a Home machine from Pro given the appropriate RAIncident
.xml file).  I was hoping to be able to connect to a Home machine via
rdesktop from Linux.  I guess I can live with having to use a Windows
machine to help my Mom.  But, that just isn't right.  Maybe I should
just install VNC on her computer.  That will work (has worked in the
past).  But, now she has this new computer, and we're reinstalling
everything, practically from scratch, for her.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net