Decorum needs to be raised.

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 16 00:45:52 UTC 2008

Dean S. Messing wrote:

>> Even worse in international fora such as this, where we come from many
>> different cultures. I offended an American once by describing him as
>> penurious, but an Australian in the same financial position would most
>> certainly have agreed with me.
>
> Well, at least you had the good sense to not call him "niggardly".  He
> might have thought you bigoted against black people.  Is "penurious"
> not a pejorative in Aussie?

Primary meaning is synonymous with skint. Not a (brass
razoo|shekel|penny) to one's name.

I don't have a Macquarrie to hand, but I think it doesn't even list
miserly, at least in its first edition.

You reminded me of a chap over east who wants Coon cheese renamed.
Reckons it's offensive. Ditto the E. S. Nigger Brown Stand.

>> And all this monkey business in cricket has me completely flummoxed.
>>
>> Of course, sometimes people _are_ deliberately offensive but even then
>> it might be no more than an expression of frustration.
>
> And sometimes (many times!) people are deliberately offended!
> Professional offendees, I call them.
>
>> And the use of "you" to mean "you the individual" and "the group of
>> people you represent," with no necessary clue as to which is meant does
>> not help.
>
> Having no singular and plural forms for "you" is, indeed, a genuine
> shortcoming of Standard English, though regional dialects have found
> solutions: "y'all" in Texas, and "yoos guys" in Noo Yawk, for example.

On these lists, I try to remember to use "one" in its place.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait