Decorum needs to be raised. [Way OT]

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 16 05:35:01 UTC 2008

Dean S. Messing wrote:

>>> And then there's David Howard, the head of the Office of Public
>>> Advocate in Washington D.C. in the late 90's, who dared to use the
>>> word "niggardly" while discussing the budget with city employees.
>>> Within days Howard was forced to publicly apologise and resign because
>>> of such a "racially insensitive" remark.
>> I had heard of that. Americans might be offended at my thoughts at the
>> time:-)
>>
>> _I_ think he should have challenged his detractors' command of American
>> English and referred reporters to Webster.
>
> Googling around a bit, I found this:
>
> <http://www.jewishworldreview.com/tony/snow020199.asp>
>
> The 7th paragraph expresses your probable thoughts quite eloquently.

He certainly agrees with my POV. I note that the same kind of stupidity
continues in the current oh-so-long US election campaign (we managed
with a relatively short [but we didn't think so] campaign of six weeks
then those on the left of the house cross to the right, the right to the
left and all don new hats and business goes on much as before.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait