Trying to rescue a hard disk -- weired feedback??

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed Jan 16 08:22:51 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 02:38 -0500, Ric Moore wrote:
> if you have a drive that goes "knock knock knock knock" when powered
> up, what the heck is that?

I seem to remember that it's either jerking the heads rapidly to try and
get them to move all the way, or hitting them against the stop trying to
reset its idea of where the start position is.  Though I think the
latter case is more to do with floppy drives.

I can remember being amused at a friend doing a similar thing trying to
get his car going, years ago.  He opened the door, put his foot out, and
wiggled the car back and forth.  Made me think of a kid playing with toy
cars.  His car was always having problems, one day it stopped dead while
we were waiting at traffic lights next to a graveyard.  I think it was
trying to drop a hint.

--
[tim at bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.12-52.fc7 i686 i386