play videos on smb server with mplayer

Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu m3freak at thesandhufamily.ca
Wed Jan 16 21:59:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 22:48 -0500, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
> I'll have to look at rebuilding the rpm with smb support.  I don't know
> if livna provides source rpms - hopefully they do.
>
> I'll report back here if I can all of this sorted out.

I downloaded the source rpm, installed it and all build dependencies
(including one that was listed as required, but absolutely required for
the smb support - libsmbclient-devel), and rebuilt the package.

I had to do a force install of mplayer, but now I can watch videos
stored on our samba server with mplayer.  Nice.

Couple of sticking points:

- mplayer can't authenticate by reading the cached kerberos ticket: have
to provide the user name and password manually, in clear text.
- I couldn't get a nautilus action I created to work, and I don't know
why.  Stupid thing didn't spit out any errors.  Oh well.
- have to rebuild mplayer each time an update from livna is released -
sucks big.

After all that, I figured out VLC works just fine with the samba shares
and authentication.  Great.

Regards,

Ranbir

--