Linux Friendly Hardware Database ??

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 17 03:38:10 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote:
>> Ed Greshko wrote:

>>> ????
>>>
>>> You made coasters on non-sony drives.  You have used a Sony CD burner
>>> and it can burn the CDs...and Sony is on your "no-buy list"?  Sorry,
>>> the logic escapes me.
>>
>> It seems I can't burn Sony media on any of my non-Sony drives. I don't
>> care to speculate on buying any more Sony media, and since I've been
>> happy so far with Pioneer drives I plan to buy Pioneer drives into the
>> future when I have the need.
>>
>> It happens that TDK DVD media check out okay using info from the
>> website I mentioned, and those can be bought in any lof the local
>> supermarkets and variety stores, so buying those is pretty simple.
>>
>> Logic seems simple to me:-)
>
> Oh...  The OP was talking about the actual burner...never made mention
> of the manufacturer of the media.  You then extended what the OP was

I was thinking he might extrapolate and try the reverse; see whether he
can burn Sony media.

> saying to include "Sony Media"...but at least to me that wasn't clear
> since when you said "I recently bought a spindle of 50 CD-Rs" you didn't
> make it known who the made them.
<whack>
I see why you were confused:-)

> Hummm....  I can see why it is simple to you.   :-)

I hope it's clear now; I can't burn my Sony media in non-sony drives.

btw I think the combinations I have tried with the Sony media are
Pioneer drives in Linux (two systems, EL4-clone and EL5-clone) and with
Windows XP.

--

Cheers
John