Linux Friendly Hardware Database ??

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Jan 17 04:20:59 UTC 2008

Michael A. Peters wrote:

> That's a bit of a problem for me, I do not have windows, and this is NOT
> the kind of task I would expect to work in wine (though I may be wrong,
> I kind of doubt it would).

This doesn't answer the question, but it does address the problem of
getting the firmware updated.

There might be a way to get Windows, for this exercise. You do need some
disk space.
Look at microsoft.com for downloads.

Sometimes there's a beta of something such as Windows Server 2008
(there's a release candidate available for download right now). It's
free to acquire for testing and evaluation. I would think evaluating its
ability to update your firmware would be fair use.

Microsoft also has evaluation versions of Small Business Server 2003.
You need to order a CD.

There's an evaluation version of Windows Xp SP2 x64 Edition for Athlon
64 and such right now. You need to order a CD.

Note, you get an enormous key to enter when you install. You do not need
to activate any of them immediately.

If your CPU is capable of virtualisation, I think you can install to a
file (maybe 2 Gbytes) under Xen or KVM, and give the guest the DVD
burner. Think of it as like WINE, but better (from the POV of getting
the job done).

--

Cheers
John