Does NetworkManager Work with WPA in Fedora 8?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Thu Jan 17 05:06:44 UTC 2008

I had networkmanager working nicely with wpa and with wep under Fedora
6. When I upgraded to Fedora 8 I could NOT get networkmanager to work
with wpa. After following the directions in

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/fedora_wireless.html

I can manually get it to work by running:

wpa_supplicant -c/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf -iwlan0

with wpa_supplicant.conf:

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

#Taking examples
from /usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant-0.5.7/wpa_supplicant.conf
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1

# WIRELESS-PITTNET network block
network={
        ssid="WIRELESS-PITTNET"
        scan_ssid=1
        proto=WPA RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-EAP
        eap=PEAP
        pairwise=CCMP TKIP
        identity="rab45"
        password="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
        ca_cert="/etc/pki/tls/cert.pem"
#        subject_match="/C=GB/L=York/O=University of York/OU=Computing
Service/OU=Terms of use at www.verisign.co.uk/rpa (c)05/OU=Authenticated
by VeriSign/OU=Member, VeriSign Trust Network/CN=nasaaa1.york.ac.uk"
        phase2="auth=MSCHAPV2"
#        priority=5
}

I have no idea what the function of the "subject_match" line is but I've
commented it out and I'm able to connect (after doing an "Activate" in
the network gui tool).

If I enable networkmanager, it brings up a panel with most of the info
showing from the config file BUT not showing the cert.pem for the
certificate. When I look in /etc/pki/tls, I can see cert.pem linked to
a .crt file in the certs directory:

[root at localhost tls]# ll
total 44
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   19 2007-12-29 03:21 cert.pem ->
certs/ca-bundle.crt
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2008-01-16 08:51 certs
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-12-29 03:21 misc
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9576 2007-10-15 11:20 openssl.cnf
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2007-10-15 17:55 private

But if I try to get to cert.pem using the WPA supplicant gui panel that
pops up, cert.pem never shows up (nothing can be seen in the directory
from this panel).

Is this a bug in networkmanager under Fedora 8? I never had to specify a
certificate file using networkmanager under Fedora 6.

[root at localhost ~]# rpm -qv NetworkManager
NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.6.svn3138.fc8

NetworkManager works OK with my home wep network - although it screws up
when I'm connected to the wired network at the office (under Fedora 6
this all worked seamlessly).

Rick B.