Tiny server?

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu Jan 17 20:14:35 UTC 2008

On Jan 17, 2008 11:44 AM, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 14:18 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> > I find the idea of a little box, with no moving parts, and no screen,
> > rather attractive.
>
> You can get them from some get-a-bargain place.  Cardboard box, nice
> foil wrapping, but does nothing...  ;-)
>
> But being serious, I think you may be on the wrong list for that sort of
> thing.  You want an OS that's designed for efficiency (Damn Small Linux,
> perhaps?), whereas Fedora seems to be the *big* Swiss Army knife with
> razor sharpened edges - size being less important than features.
>
> Yes, it'd benefit from more efficiency, but I don't think it's a prime
> goal.  I can see some possibly interesting projects with a small box,
> too.  e.g. Small media players with local amplifiers, and centralised
> media storage.  But you do sacrifice a lot with dedicated special
> hardware.  And then you end up using a full computer to control the
> gadget, so what have you gained?  ;-)
>
> To whittle Fedora down to that small size does mean it stops being what
> most people might think Fedora is, if you end up being only a step away
> from being Linux from scratch.

There is always FreeNas . I run one server at work and one at home. It has
been very reliable and has a WebGUI for easy configuration. It will do:
    * CIFS/SMB
    * FTP
    * SSHD
    * NFS
    * AFP
    * RSYNCD
    * Unison
    * iSCSI Target
    * UPnP
    * Dynamic DNS
    * SNMP

also supports LDAP , Active Directory and creation of local users and
groups. It supports encryption as well but I have not used the feature.
Anyway I have been running two FreeNas boxes without a hitch for several
months. From the website :

Welcome to FreeNAS  Friday, 24 March 2006   FreeNAS is a free NAS
(Network-Attached
Storage) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network-attached_storage> server,
supporting: CIFS (samba), FTP, NFS, AFP, RSYNC, iSCSI protocols, S.M.A.R.T.,
local user authentication, Software RAID (0,1,5) with a Full WEB
configuration interface. FreeNAS takes less than 32MB once installed on
Compact Flash, hard drive or USB key.
The minimal FreeBSD distribution, Web interface, PHP scripts and
documentation are based on M0n0wall <http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/>.
www.freenas.org

-Max