That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 01:38:16 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 10:05 -0500, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jan 2008, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> > Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >
> > > perhaps, but that would violate the fundamental rule that's already
> > > been mentioned a number of times here -- don't mix non-fedora repos.
> >
> > "mentioned here" == a few hundred people understand it - maybe...
> >
> > > if they forget, and cavalierly start dragging packages out of other
> > > repositories sometime down the road, they have no one but themselves
> > > to blame.
> >
> > Can you point to the documentation that explains that? It's broken as
> > designed.
>
> it's certainly mentioned here:
>
>   http://docs.fedoraproject.org/yum/en/sn-using-repositories.html
>
> no, that clearly won't stop some people from screwing things up, but
> as long as people continue to build incompatible repos, i don't see
> that there's any perfect solution.

I thought that the main 3rd-party repos were to pool everything into a
jumbo repo with everything ironed out? THAT would be a true "blessing"
for all of us. Heck, I'll fry the chicken to take part in that pot-luck
dinner. Everyone at the same table! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

<does back-flips down the aisle> :O Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar