automatic installation of PAE-enabled kernel?

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sat Jan 19 22:37:18 UTC 2008

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>   if i had been installing f8 on a 32-bit, PAE-enabled system with >4G
>> of RAM, would that have automatically installed the PAE version of the
>> kernel?  or would i have had to make a choice along the way?  thanks.
>>
>> rday
>  From what I understand, Anaconda has to install the kernel version it
> booted, and that therefore, a PAE kernel is not installed by Anaconda
> unless you do a custom respin.

Historically that has not been the case. Originally, it ran with a
specially-built I386 kernel, but chose a 586 or 686 (or briefly an AMD)
kernel, +SMP if appropriate.

The kernels did have to be the same release.

I believe that in RHEL Anaconda installs more than one kernel (I use
-clone and that's one area they differ) if one chooses the VT stuff.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait