That ole Livna Problem/That ole VLC Problem

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sun Jan 20 03:34:45 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 January 2008, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-18 at 12:57 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On 18/01/2008, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I thought that the main 3rd-party repos were to pool everything into a
> > > jumbo repo with everything ironed out?
> >
> > Not all of them:   http://rpmfusion.org/
>
> Looks good to me, except I don't see ATrpms in the mix? Ric

No DAG/RPMforge, either.

The Big Three of the third-party repos are DAG, ATrpms, and Freshrpms.  Mix
these three with lots of care, and excludes/priorities galore.

Note that I don't think any of these is doing anything essentially wrong,
either.  They just package different, but intersecting, sets of packages,
with different versions for different needs and sometimes in different splits
and different install locations.

For instance, try some nagios, nagios-plugins, nagio-plugin-nrpe, and nrpe
mixing.  Go ahead, try it.  I found the hard way you had best have the same
repo on both the nagios box and all the nrpe boxes, as the different repos
have different nrpe versions, and they don't play well together.
--
Lamar Owen
www.pari.edu