Where do i change the default DVD application?

Mark markg85 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 14:21:06 UTC 2008

2008/1/20, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au>:
> On Sat, 2008-01-19 at 23:06 +0100, Mark wrote:
> > Oke i found it. it's hidden in a strange location.
> > It's located in:
> >
> > System -> Preferences -> Hardware -> Removable devices and media
> > than in the Multimedia tab.
> >
> > Now that name is by far suggestion that "preferred applications" can
> > be set in there.
> > Would be best if this gets merged with the other Preferred
> > Applications if you ask me.
>
> Misunderstanding on your behalf...
>
> The removable media preferences come into action when dealing with
> removable media.  DVDs are removable media.  You plug it in, there's an
> action for that.
>
> Default application preferences are for when you ask the system to do
> open something.  If you were to do some mouse clicking on a DVD, then
> here would be an appropriate place to set the default application.

Well. i don't see it as a misunderstanding on my behalf.. i didn't
made 2 applications to manage preferred applications.

Where would you expect it to be if you didn't know about Removable
devices and media. I would expect it to be in preferred applications.
Now that i know it's not in there i still expect it to be there. The
fact that there is a Removable devices and media is fine. but it
shouldn't have default application stuff in it! there is clearly
another application for that. The Removable devices and media should
just have (for video dvd): Checkbox "Run application when video dvd is
inserted?" (or something like it) and than preferred applications
should take over. In reality this will make Removable devices and
media pointless because it has so little options that they can be
better placed in preferred applications ^_^