Can a laptop change from suspend to hibernate without user intervention?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon Jan 21 20:17:17 UTC 2008

Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> I have an Asus Eee PC running Fedora, and, at the moment it suspends
> when the lid is closed.  It would be quite easy for me to change that to
> hibernate, but I really don't want to go through the full process of
> moving information from the hard drive to the RAM each time I open the
> lid.
>
> What I'm looking for is something that will suspend the computer (as
> well as maybe writing the RAM to the hard drive, I really don't care),
> and then, if I bring it up within, say, 20 minutes, it resumes.  If I
> leave the lid closed longer than 20 minutes (or any other random
> number), I'd like it to hibernate.
>
> Is this possible?  Is there any way for a computer to pop out of suspend
> long enough to hibernate itself?  Or is this a pipe dream?
>
> Jonathan

I had one laptop where this was easy - you would create a suspend
file, tell the BIOS about it, and the BIOS would manage suspend to
disk, and resume from the disk. If I remember correctly, it would
also change from suspend to hibernate when the battery got too low.

I don't know of a setup to do what you want, but it may be possible.
  (This is just brainstorming...) What you may be able to do is set
the alarm on the BIOS clock to wake the computer up in 20 minutes as
part of the suspend script. You would then check on wakeup to see
how it was woke up, and if it is because of the clock, then go
directly to hibernating. (Something like if the system wakes up, and
the lid is closed, hibernate.) If this check was made as the first
step of the wakeup, then the system would not have to do a full
resume before hibernating. (Skip re-initializing hardware that does
not wake up properly, restoring video, etc.)

Mikkel