more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

Scott van Looy scott at ethosuk.org.uk
Tue Jan 22 15:15:42 UTC 2008

Today Les Mikesell did spake thusly:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>> hmmmm ... i never tried that particular scenario, but i'm aware now
>> that the newer and better way to grab the native X display is to use
>> the vnc.so module.  having said that, i've been unable to get that to
>> work, despite a couple readable online pages.
>>
>> so, if anyone has an actual (heh heh) recipe for taking control of a
>> remote desktop using vnc.so, feel free to drop me a note -- i'll test
>> it, then wiki it for others.
>
> I used it some versions back but I think the reason I quit was that it quit
> working at some point in the switch to Xorg.  The current version seems to be
> named libvnc.so but I'm not sure if it is fixed and I don't have anything
> later than FC6 to test.  It should just be a matter of adding the Load
> statement in your Xorg.conf and having a password file. This advice looks
> promising:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=162314

It Just Works(TM) under gnome on a fresh install of Fedora 8 -
System/Preferences/Internet and Network/Remote Desktop
Under Fedora 7 with desktop effects on you could control the desktop but
couldn't see what you were doing on VNC
Under fedora 6 it should work too.

run vncpasswd first as the local user to set a password, then connect to
the IP and :1 after enabling "remote desktop". Though I still don't know
how to connect to the login screen via vnc...

--
Scott van Looy - email:me at ethosuk.org.uk | web:www.ethosuk.org.uk
site:www.freakcity.net - the in place for outcasts since 2003