more Fedora Cookbook: VNC

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 16:43:35 UTC 2008

Scott van Looy wrote:

>>> so, if anyone has an actual (heh heh) recipe for taking control of a
>>> remote desktop using vnc.so, feel free to drop me a note -- i'll test
>>> it, then wiki it for others.
>>
>> I used it some versions back but I think the reason I quit was that it
>> quit working at some point in the switch to Xorg.  The current version
>> seems to be named libvnc.so but I'm not sure if it is fixed and I
>> don't have anything later than FC6 to test.  It should just be a
>> matter of adding the Load statement in your Xorg.conf and having a
>> password file. This advice looks promising:
>> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=162314
>
> It Just Works(TM) under gnome on a fresh install of Fedora 8 -
> System/Preferences/Internet and Network/Remote Desktop
> Under Fedora 7 with desktop effects on you could control the desktop but
> couldn't see what you were doing on VNC
> Under fedora 6 it should work too.
>
> run vncpasswd first as the local user to set a password, then connect to
> the IP and :1 after enabling "remote desktop". Though I still don't know
> how to connect to the login screen via vnc...

I think you are running vino if you start it from inside gnome - which
means you can't get a login screen through it and if your machine
reboots when you are away you won't get back in at all.  The advantage
of the x module is that it works even at the login screen and regardless
of which window manager you start.  Or it did, back when it worked at all.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com