Ahh, forget repo fusion :-).

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 23:24:32 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:

>> 1. Goal
>> The RPMforge.net project is an independent community-driven project to
>> provide the infrastructure and tools to allow users, developers and
>> packagers to meet and work together to provide and improve RPM packages.
>
> That may be the idea behind rpmforge, but knowing how getting linux
> developers to agree on standards is a lot like herding cats, I was
> thinking about it from the other direction - a technical solution
> that would let you install all sorts of conflicting nonsense in
> a way that prevents the conflicts and then select between the
> choices by diddling your PATH or using something like the
> alternatives scheme.

I'd love to see a generic mechanism like that even to permit having
multiple versions of the same package from the same repo installed at
the same time.  However, many packages would need alternate locations
for their configuration and GUI tools wouldn't understand that, and you
would have to deal with conflicts over resources like listening on fixed
ports, etc.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com