CD and DVD ISO images

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 23 04:11:00 UTC 2008

David Boles wrote:

> Gee. Sorry. I was just trying to help you and your friend. And I did offer
> a reasonable solution. A way to make a CD set from an existing, already
> downloaded, official, Fedora 8 DVD and official Fedora 8 updated packages
> downloaded from official Fedora mirrors into a CD set of Fedora. Even if
> you did *not* have a local DVD source this would make the CD isos without
> that. And Jigdo, bluntly, is so simple to use that anyone that *thinks*
> that they can use Linux should be able to do it.
>
> But what you want is a DVD with CD isos for everyone instead of an
> installable DVD iso that I, and many, many others, could use with out the
> magic, smoke, and mirrors. No thanks.

That is my proposal. See my first email in this thread.

Specifically, why is it a bad idea?

> And I think that it makes more sense the way it is now than with the hair
> brained CD isos in a DVD iso solution that you propose.
>
> BTW - While I was preparing dinner I started this 'process' and I am
> currently working on the fifth, there are five total in the set, CD iso.
> If you had not been such a hard a$$ you could had CDs to hand to your
> friend by tomorrow at the latest.

So what? I've been using Linux for a decade or so, but I don't think it
should be as hard for others as it's been for me. I've been using and
recommending jigdo for around half that time.
See
http://www.redhat.com/archives/phoebe-list/2003-January/thread.html#00226
- it's just gone five years old.

I'm not proposing a solution to a problem _I_ find insurmountable. I'm
proposing a solution to a problem I see as being fairly wide-spread. I
have here seven Pentium IVs and later that came without DVD drives. All
are suitable for running Linux, and several do.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait