CD and DVD ISO images

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Jan 23 04:47:56 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:

>> It is a silly question:-) It misses the point, which is to make Fedora
>> easier to share and to install on machines which lack DVD drives and
>> good Internet access.
>
> Well, you keep mentioning "Neither helps install sans network" and
> statements that seem to indicate that lack of network is part of the
> hurdle.
yes, both of
1. No good network.
2. CD drive but not DVD.

> I've never had a problem to install on a system without a DVD drive but
> a good network connection.  I've used the "Live CD" method or downloaded
> the DVD iso and did a network install.

My proposal addresses the cases of no DVD drive but CD, and no good
networking.

> So, I guess whatever solution you're proposing is redundant for me.

Sure, it's not for everyone. However, I sometimes would like both, and
the cost of providing CD isos imbedded in DVD isos and used for
installing is pretty small.

>>> Wouldn't it be somewhat better to go with something like CentOS which
>>> already has CD ISO images?  A distro such as CentOS is also more
>>> stable...as in less frequent updates.  So, if you don't have internet
>>> access no need to worry about how to get the 47 or so updates that
>>> come out every so often.
>>>
>> haven't you noticed my description of Fedora?
>> http://fcp.surfsite.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=45800&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&start=0
>

> Doesn't ring a bell....
"rolling beta" and words about the wisdom of using it for important work.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait