Remote Desktop: the recipe.

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 23:30:27 UTC 2008

Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>>> AFAIK this is the only remote desktop client for Linux:
>>> http://www.rdesktop.org/
>> That's for the Windows remote desktop protocol and there is no corresponding
>> server.  If you want something with equivalent performance on Linux, look at
>> freenx with the NX clients from www.nomachine.com. The current freenx server
>> can't share the active console session though, you have to start new sessions
>> when you first connect and then you have the choice of suspending or
>> terminating them when you disconnect.  The commercial NX server claims to
>> allow connections to the console but I haven't tried it.
>
> ok, i'm clearly going to have to take a deep breath and collect all
> this info and collate it.  and it seemed like such a simple project in
> the beginning ...

What's really fun is to cascade these things.  For example you might use
the NX client remotely to run a freenx linux desktop from an office
machine, then in windows of that desktop connect via vnc and/or rdesktop
to other machines from there.  A surprising assortment of text cut/paste
operations will work across the mess.

In any case I recommend the freenx/NX combination over any of the others.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com