gtk2 update on fc8 SOLVED!

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 04:56:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 12:27 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > On Thu, 2008-01-24 at 14:17 -0600, Tom Poe wrote:
> >> I decided to close yum down after over 1 hour.  No response in terminal,
> >> so clicked on x in upper right corner of terminal, then log out and shut
> >> down computer.  Started it again, brought up terminal, retried yum
> >> update, and it completed.  The gtk2 app wasn't included in update list,
> >> though.  Will have to wait until problems show up, I guess.  Are there
> >> yum logs to review for update activity, or where does yum store verbose
> >> logs?
> >> Tom
> >>

> > I suggest you manually download the gtk2 RPM (For i386: [1], x86_64:
> > [2]) and manually install it on you machine using:
> > $ rpm -Uvh --force file.rpm
>
> Care to explain the logic behind your suggestion?  It would seem as if the
> OP's problem no longer exists and that gtk2 has been updated.  In lieu of
> any existing problem what indicates your suggested procedure?

The GTK2 update might have contained a number of security updates; while
having a broken update will not cause any visible corruption, it may
leave the machine open for an attack.
Plus, In all my years with RPM-based Linuxes, I've yet to see RPM --Uvh
--force fail and/or corrupt the system.

- Gilboa