Maintaining a local yum repository

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Sat Jan 26 16:25:34 UTC 2008

Hello,

I currently have 3 computers running Fedora 8. I think it would probably
be a good thing to set up a local repository for yum, rather than
downloading each package 3 times.

I have looked at the howto at www.howtoforge.com, and I am not really
happy with the method described there. It involves picking a particular
mirror and using rsync to keep the local repository up to date.

It seems to me that this would have some problems. For one thing it puts
a bigger load on whichever mirror I am rsync'ing to. For another thing,
It seems to that there might be some security issues with just grabbing
the packages without checking the key as yum does.

Is there a better way to keep a local repository up to date? Ideally, I
would like to find a way to just download the packages that my local
users ask for, not the whole thing. And I would prefer to use the mirror
list at fedora rather than just use one particular server.

I would also prefer to automate the whole process rather than doing it
manually.

Does anybody have any ideas about this? Or would I be better off just
continuing to use the fedora repository?

Thanks

Derek Tattersall                    tatters at newsguy.com