Maintaining a local yum repository

Derek Tattersall tatters at newsguy.com
Sat Jan 26 20:58:08 UTC 2008

macgyver wrote:

> When I had two servers running Fedora2 and both my wife and I's
> workstation, and my laptop all running FC2 - what I did was get one of
> the servers to do an automatic update at say 02:00 - and do not delete
> the resultant packages...
>
> The resultant packages were then NFS shared to the rest of the systems
> as a background mount.....
>
> The result - when yum ran on the rest of the machines, if it found those
> packages already on disk - it didn't re-download them - thus saving
> downloading everything 5 times..
>
> Also no problems with keys - as still using the repo ;-)
>
> Ok - didn't stop the download of what needed to be downloaded - but that
> traffic was minimal compared to the actual packages.....
>
> Helluva lot better (IMHO) that rsyncing the entire repo  - 'cause you
> won't need a vast majority of what that repo has..
>

> Just my 2c
> AM

I like that idea.

I could make a script on one machine that looks like this:

#!/bin/bash
yum $*
rsync -vRd /var/cache/yum/*/packages/*rpm /var/www/html/yum

and then use that to either make a local repository, or just copy it to
the /var/cache/yum directories on my other machines.

I think that would do what I have in mind.

Thanks.

Derek Tattersall                    tatters at newsguy.com