Ubuntu

Karl Larsen k5di at zianet.com
Sun Jan 27 22:01:00 UTC 2008

Beartooth wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 11:48:16 -0700, Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> I have tried to load this software as another to keep an eye on, but
>>
>                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^
>
>> when I do load it it takes over Grub! I didn't see any way to stop it
>> from doing this. Has anyone else had success? If so let me know what to
>> do.
>>

> 	I take that to mean what you really have is neither a straight
> Fedora problem, nor a straight Ubuntu problem, but a multi-boot problem
> involving both. Right?
>
> 	After much effort and with lots of help online, I have just
> managed to make my testbed machine triple-boot, reliably, with Fedora 8,
> Ubuntu 7.10, and CentOS 5.1; I'm not quite sure what I did, nor how, but
> I can outline it.
>
> 	First, back up your data; the next step will wipe *everything* --
> leaving you with not even an OS.
>
> 	Now download and burn a CD with DBAN, boot to it, and tell it
> autonuke. It will take several hours.
>
> 	Then partition the hard drive; use knoppix, or gparted or
> qtparted on a live CD. I made a separate /boot partition first, then one
> for each OS, and a swap partition.
>
> 	Boot from the install medium for the first OS; do the manual
> install, making sure you install only into the partition you want; let it
> build you a grubbery in /boot. I did CentOS first. Make a note of what in
> in any grub.conf a/o menu.lst you can find.
>
> 	Install gparted or qtparted or both in each OS as you go -- not
> to partition with, but to look with. Keeping track of what's on which
> partition is going to grow into a major pain.
>
> 	Now do the like with the second OS -- I used Fedora. It will
> probably wreck your ability to boot to the first one.
>
> 	So boot to what you can, and command mkdir /TEST. Then start
> running "mount -t ext3 /dev/sdax /TEST" for x = 1 to whatever your last
> partition is. (In CentOS and Ubuntu, use hda, not sda.)
>
> 	Whenever a partition does mount, do "cd /TEST," then ls, and
> drill down to find any grub.conf a/o menu.lst in any OS but the one
> you're running.
>
> 	In another terminal or terminal tab, su to root, and do the same
> inside the one you're running.
>
> 	Copy and paste, adding each OS's boot data to the boot record for
> the other. It should now boot to both.
>
> 	If you add a third, as I did, expect it to wreck your ability to
> boot to at least one of the others. Apply a similar remedy.
>
> 	As I said, I'm not sure; I *think* the above is what I did. But I
> notice that what's in /boot is *not* all the boot data, but that for one
> OS (the last, iirc), and some directions to chainload.
>
> 	You may have to do something similar to all the above *again*
> whenever one OS updates its kernel. Or the chainloading from the
> dedicated /boot partition may spare you that. Be sure at least that you
> do save the boot data for the new kernel, where you can get to ti even if
> not to its OS.
>
> 	It's not pretty; but if you put the testbed -- *after* all the
> [...]
    Well, I follow almost everything but what you actually did. I do not
plan to re-load F7 and F7-64 and F8 just to load Ubuntu. That is stupid.
I think there might be a way to get Ubuntu to set up it's grub on it's
partition. Then I can chainload it when I want.

    If it takes over over (hd0) I can just re-direct it to it's partition.

Karl

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User