Maintaining a local yum repository

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 22:57:18 UTC 2008

Martin Marques wrote:

>>> Is there something that will just do proxy with cache and not mirror
>>> sync?  I mean, just download what you're installing or updating to
>>> get cached in disk, not the whole repo.
>>>
>>> Something like a proxy. :-D
>>

>> Another method (also mentioned) is to nfs share your /var/cache/yum
>> dir.
>
> IMHO, this is a crappy solution.

How so?  While I'd prefer yum to play nice with a caching proxy that
might already be set up, file sharing seems like a reasonable way to
share files...   If you already have a common network share it might
work to copy one of the /var/cache/yum contents to it, then symlink all
of them, avoiding the need to export a new shared directory.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com