Wireless (again)

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Mon Jan 28 08:34:00 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:

> I was however interested from a purely academic point of view
> to know if it is possible to determine the chipset
> either from documentation or by use of some application.

First, I have a PC card labeled "Orinoco Wireless Networks - Gold".  It is
made by Agere Systems.  Has a nice product number on it of PC24E-H-FC.  The
label also has a serial number, a part number, a MAC address, a few other
FCC and other agency's registration numbers.

I don't have a laptop running any incantation of Linux.  So, I can't tell
you if the output of "lspci -vv" would reveal any clue as to the type of
chipset it contains.  A scanning electron microscope may come in handy about
now....

Or, try going to  http://linux-wless.passys.nl/ and search there to see if
your card is listed.  I found mine...PC24E-H-FC.  But, it is a good thing I
used google to get to that web site as I didn't know that Agere was acquired
by Lucent.