Can anyone explain the delay when switching from X to console

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Mon Jan 28 08:43:21 UTC 2008

stan wrote:
> It used to be (years ago) that
> the switch from X to a console would be almost instantaneous.  Over the
> years, it just seems to keep getting longer and longer.

>  Can anyone explain this, and is there an
> adjustment to speed it up.
Maybe you are using different vga and video modes/resolutions than in
your earlier test {that are less common and scanned for later}, or a
different monitor.

Some monitors seem to change quickly into power save mode, and then take
some time until they can show an image again {especially

For my nvidia fx5600 and dell 1024x768M LCD using nv driver:
To VT takes less than two seconds.
To X takes less than 1 second.

<speculation>
I have noted in the lists continued work on X and auto DPMS/edid etc
monitor improvements. This might mean that the monitor detection is
performed at every change {on your pc/card/monitor}, whereas before a
hard written mode line was in the conf file.
</speculation>

DaveT.