package manager problems: rpm db corruption|glibc detected double-linked|etc

Joe Smith jes at martnet.com
Mon Jan 28 13:57:56 UTC 2008

Alan Cox wrote:
>> When the package system works, it works great. When it breaks, it's a
>> steep climb to put it right.
>
> It should never break.

Ha. Well, there aren't many people could say that with any effect.

And you're not the first to point the finger at hardware, so I finally
broke down and ran memtest overnight. It did indeed find some problems
in one area with the block move test.

So I'll just enjoy my blackbird breakfast--thank you very much--and
think about how to deal with the memory glitch.

Any ideas what yum or db4 might be doing to trip over this? My system is
stable otherwise, even with a high memory load. Package management has
been completely dependable with this hardware until recently.

<Joe