package manager problems: rpm db corruption|glibc detected double-linked|etc

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Jan 28 18:25:49 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-01-28 at 14:48 +0000, Alan Cox wrote:
> Before you run out and just get new RAM give the original memory a
> wiggle

Do that gently, too.  I've come across a few sockets that don't survive
being poked about.

Having seen how little some pay towards anti-static precautions (users,
shopkeepers and assistants, those servicing computers, etc.), I wonder
how many PCs are knackered during, or even before, the initial build
stage.  I tend to suspect this sort of thing far more than power surges
being the main reason for failures.

To those not in the know - static shocks often don't kill the device
there and then, they usually weaken it.  It breaks down later on, long
after you'd think to attribute the breakdown to how you handled the
device (memory cards, peripheral cards, just about any components).
Weeks, months, or years later.

If you're buying something like RAM from a shop that just has it loose
under the counter, they pick it up with their fingers like they're
grabbing nothing more technical than pencils, walk across the carpet
holding it, dump it in plastic bags, etc., then walk away.  Buy it from
somewhere else.  They've probably just stuffed it up for you.

Simple precautions for those who don't have anti-static gear:

Leave your new toys in their antistatic shielding.

Unplug the power from what you're going to perform electronic surgery
on, don't just switch it off with the power button.  Connect your PC to
something else that's grounded (e.g. the video monitor, amplified
speakers, something EXTERNAL).  That'll keep it from building up a
charge, and without any power in the device to cause damage to things
(devices, or people).

Lean against your grounded PC, or other device that it's connected to
and grounded, so you don't built up a charge.  Stay in touch with it.
If you move away, ground yourself against it, again, before you start
handling your toys again.

Place your new toy, still wrapped, in contact with your PC for a few
moments.  That lets them both get the same charge, in a low risk manner.

Carefully unwrap it, handle cards by the edges without putting your
fingers on the components or tracks, as best as you can manage.  Insert
it into place, and try not to be too forceful.

If you have to press hard to get something to go in, to the point that
you're going to bend the motherboard, check you're not forcing something
in a way that's not going to work, then try putting something
non-conductive on the other side to brace it.  It beats me why they
don't put more feet underneath the board around where the slots are.

Static's usually not a problem for the assembled computer.  Though
there's cases of people walking up to a running computer and zapping it
to death, and mouse cables charging up as they're dragged about the
desk, they're a bit of a rarity.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.