Good bye

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 19:52:27 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:

>>> but sooner or later, karl is going to run across something that ubuntu
>>> is *worse* at, and it will be just a matter of time before karl is
>>> complaining that something in ubuntu doesn't work, and that it's way
>>> better in fedora and why don't those ubuntu folks do it like it's done
>>> in fedora?
>> Much of his problems had to do with 3rd party software like the Nvidia
>> drivers, skype, etc.  It's hard to imagine how ubuntu could be more
>> hostile to 3rd parties than fedora.
> ----
> I'm glad you have such a positive assessment of Fedora.

Feel free to point out how I'm wrong if you can find any cases where the
distro goes out of its way to help enable its users to install/use any
3rd party item.  The best thing I can say is that they try to be
internally self-consistent most of the time.  But in my opinion, an
operating system should be just be a platform where you install other
things.  If it doesn't either provide a stable interface for those
things or a mechanism to help deal with its unstable nature, there's not
much point to using it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com