Good bye

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:02:51 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Alessandro Brezzi wrote:
>>>
>>> Good bye Karl, this is your personal opinion. After testing for a
>>> long time both Ubuntu and Fedora I personally stay in Fedora for the
>>> superior  hardware recognition. Have you tried to change a Video Card
>>> or monitor in Ubuntu? Have you never extracted your Ubuntu HD and put
>>> in a different HW (different MoBo, different Processor, different
>>> Video Card etc)?
>>
>> Moving your disk isn't going to work in fedora either without a lot of
>> contortions if your new disk controller needs a different driver.
>>
> It isn't?
>
> I've done it on RHL 7.x (and before) and Debian. I don't see why it
> wouldn't work with the latest Fedora or with Ubuntu.

The disk driver module has to be included in your initrd and if you have
a different controller you'll need a different module before you can
access the disk where it is stored.  If you know as much as anaconda
does about hardware you can build a new initrd either before moving or
with a rescue dvd boot.  I've used a brute-force approach on Centos
where I do a minimal install on the new hardware, then toss everything
except the contents of /boot, either copying the new /boot partition to
my old disk or copying everything else from the old system to the rest
of the new drive.  I'd expect that to also work with fedora to get to a
point where you can fix the rest of the drivers.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com