Questions re samba/cifs stuff in general

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Jan 31 02:11:42 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-01-30 at 20:03 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings all;
>
> I guess I'm getting lazy in my dotage, but do we have in our current bag of
> tricks, a gui program that can display the available cifs/samba shares on the
> local network, and then allow the local mounting of such a visible share by
> nothing more elegant than having the user enter both the username to log in
> as, and the password, hopefully remembering those items till the rapture or
> some such silly amount of time?

If you use Gnome, can't you see them via "Places->Network->Windows
Network"?  If you double click on one of the servers there, it should
ask you for username, password and domain.

> I ask because I just spent over an hour trying to get the syntax right for a
> mount.cifs invocation to do just that.  I hate manpages without any actual,
> known to work examples.
>
> Also, where did smbmount go?  Its loss means that even if I could have
> recovered my even more complex script from the old FC6/etc/init.d, it would
> have failed.  I can reinvent that wheel eventually but its been 7 or 8 years
> since I had to fool with this & things get rusty, call it CRS, whatever.

smbmount was killed off in favor of mount.cifs.  However, it's easier to
use a standard mount command, but specify "-t cifs":

	mount -t cifs //server/share /mountpoint \
	-o user=username,domain=workgroup,password=password

or you could put all the options in one option:

	-o user=workgroup/username%password

Even better, use a credentials file with the username and password in
it so it's not visible in a command history:

	-o domain=workgroupname,credentials=/path/to/cred/file

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
- If at first you don't succeed, quit. No sense being a damned fool! -