Nautilus annoyances - can configuration change these, if so how?

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Thu Jan 31 11:51:33 UTC 2008

Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> Dnia 31-01-2008, czw o godzinie 10:20 +0000, Chris G pisze:
>> I tend to use the command line most of the time but I occasionally use
>> Nautilus when, for example, I'm housekeeping image files and it's
>> useful to be able to see the images.
>>
>> However, for me, nautilus has some very annoying defaults and I'm
>> wondering if they can be changed, i.e. :-
>>
>>     Nautilus opens a new window for every directory, this rapidly gets
>>     annoying with deep hierarchies.  Is there an option to get
>>     Nautilus to open a new directory/folder in the *same* window?
>
>  1) you can middle-click instead of left-click. It will close parent
> folder.

Fair enough, I didn't know that.
where is that documented?

>  2) you can use Nautilus in browser mode: Applications -> System tools
> -> file browser or Right-click folder -> Browse; or nautilus --browser

Not exactly what the OP asked.

Personally (yes I know many will not agree) I find nautilus to be a
glaring weak link in the GNOME desktop, irritating to use and hard to
configure.
Having said that, most of GNOME has very limited config options unless
you use gconf*. (Which is for the most part undocumented.)

Stuart

[* insert involuntary shudder at this point.]
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.