Good bye

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 13:55:47 UTC 2008

Ian Malone wrote:

>> Since this is Karl's thread, his problems with Nvidia and sound should
>> be famous by now and apply to any kernel modules.
>
> And, as always, he was told ages ago the way to get Nvidia working
> on Fedora and chose to ignore it until he stumbled onto it by trial
> and error.

He was told different and conflicting ways by different people and
following different sets of advice broke things.  Why should an
extremely common user requirement have to be satisfied by following some
random other user's advice from a mail list?  As we can see by example,
this doesn't work that well.

> I didn't follow his sound problems closely but they
> appeared to be with pulseaudio, which was designed to fix a long-
> standing sound problem, is not a kernel issue and, in any case, can
> be removed and F8 run without it.

He tried to remove 'pulseaudio' instead of the obscure package name that
you actually do have to remove and it damaged his system.

> Anyway, we've heard this axe ground so often I'm surprised there's
> anything left of it.

Does the truth hurt?  What's the problem with repeating it?  I'd like to
see something resembling truth-in-advertising on the project site about
the expected user experience for the very common situations where a
vendor driver works better than the stock one or is needed to work at
all, the user wants to run java, VMware or a number of other 3rd party
programs, or the user expects to keep running without re-installing for
any length of time.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com