Pulseaudio is not working ; no sound with Fedora 9

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Tue Jul 1 14:20:38 UTC 2008

Rohan Kulkarni wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>              I added the line options snd-hda-intel model=acer to the
> file /etc/modprobe.conf. Now I am getting sound but still pulseaudio
> does not start.I get the error Connection failed : Connection refused.
> Also the sound settings show that HDA Intel (ALC268 Analog) is not
> available ( either it is unplugged or the driver is not loaded )

What does 'I am getting sound' mean?  Sound applications work? Random
noises occur?

What 'sound settings' are showing that HDA Intel is not available?

Try aplay -vv -D plughw:0,0 some.wav

Does it play?  If it does, alsa is working and your problem is in
configuration only.

Do aplay - L to be sure that your card is card0.  The default card is
card0, and if
there isn't a card0, pulse might get confused.

I can't help you with pulse, perhaps someone here more knowledeable can
help you,
or you can go to http://www.pulseaudio.org and ask there.