BOINC again !? -- BINGO, BINGO and BINGO

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 2 14:52:29 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Sorry, Rahul, you have lost me here.
> When I say that NM waits until the user logs in
> I mean that NetworkManager does not connect me to my AP
> until I login.

Again, you are confusing between NM and nm-applet.

> Therefore any application that requires me to be connected
> has to wait until I login.
> This doesn't worry me particularly, but it does puzzle me.
>
> I am asking the reason for this delay.

I believe I already answered that. NM was initially designed to manage
wireless networks easily where it makes more sense to connect after you
login. Refer

http://www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/networkmanager/

> Perhaps if there was some minimal documentation for NM this might be clear.

Perhaps if you will volunteer to contribute, it would have been done by
now. If you want to wait for someone else to do the work, it is going to
be done when others find time and interest to do it.

Rahul