Dell D630 fc9 can't change screen resolution with system-config-display

Dave Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Wed Jul 2 21:02:35 UTC 2008

I select menu item System/Administration/Display and authenticate. I
select a different resolution from the resolution menu. I click 'OK'.
A dialog box pops up:

"Display settings changed
You need to log out and restart the X server for the changes to take effect.
Coinfiguration was written to /etc/X11/xorg.conf, original
configuration saved as /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup"

I click okay, open up a terminal window. ls -la shows
/etc/X11/xorg.conf was modified. /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup does not
exist.

If I choose the highest resolution setting shown (832x624),
/etc/X11/xorg.conf has a screen section that looks like this:

Section "Screen"
       Identifier "Screen0"
       Device     "Videocard0"
       DefaultDepth     24