noacpi,acpi=off kernel options

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu Jul 3 17:01:39 UTC 2008

It seems with the newer kernels these options no longer work, or there's
some syntactical change that is killing my kernels on boot.  I have one
server here that just refuses to play nice with ACPI.  It won't cut the
fan on/off and it fills up my log and eventually the HDD.  So normally I
use something like this:

title Fedora (2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686)
         root (hd0,2)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686 ro
root=UUID=9f669bab-aff8-4855-aa5f-c683bf60744a noacpi,acpi=off
         initrd /initrd-2.6.25.6-55.fc9.i686.img

In grub, but for some reason when I boot with this kernel it hang every
time until I remove the noacpi,acpi=off options.

So, what's the correct option(s) for shutting off acpi on boot now?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support