How to install from tar.gz2

Tom Browder tom.browder at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 15:12:22 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 10:01 AM, Luis Orlindo Tedeschi
<luis.tedeschi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks; I am new to Linux/Fedora and I have a question regarding tar.bz2
> files. I searched for this topic and I did not get I clear answer. How
> to I install from a tar.gz2 file? Thanks in advance...

On a linux or unix system, do the following (usually install as root):

tar tvjf <name>.tar.bz2  # <== use 'z' instead of 'j for '.tar.gz' files

I do the first ('t' instead of 'x') to make sure the package opens
into its own directory.  Otherwise you can clutter your current
directory with hundreds if files and have a mess on your hands.

Another option is to make a clean directory so you don'y have to
worry.  I usually unpack source packages for installation in a
directory called '/usr/local/src'.
So, wherever you want and are ready to unpack the package:

  tar xvjf <name>.tar.bz2

  cd <name> # <= assumes it creates directory '<name>

Read any INSTALL or README files.

A GNU package usually requires:

  ./configure
  make