Scanner woes in F9

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Sun Jul 6 19:48:08 UTC 2008

Apparently, scanner configuration is now handled through HAL rather than
UDEV, which means I have no idea how to get my scanner set up.

I have an Epson Expression 800 SCSI scanner.  It is detected with no
problem as /dev/sg0 and gets user root, group lp and permissions
-rw-rw---.  So root can see the scanner, but regular users and network
users can't see it.  Changing the permissions to -rw-rw-rw by hand makes
the scanner accessible to local users, but still not over the LAN.  And
of course, it won't be preserved across reboots.

I added the network IP range to /etc/sane.d/saned.conf and added
localhost to /etc/sane.d/net.conf, configured /etc/xinetd.d/sane-daemon
as it was when it worked in F8, and opened port 6566 in the firewall.

Any idea what I'm missing?

I have sane-backends-1.0.19-10.fc9.i386.  The HAL configuration for
scanners is in /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/19-libsane.fdi.

TIA.

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences